Taupo Primary School - Hooked on Learning

Previous Updates

Principal's Blog

Written by Cushla Seamer

PB4L - Positive Behaviour for Learning

Posted on 27 April 2017

How do we measure behaviour in our PB4L programme?

At one of our "Coffee with Sarah and Cushla "last term Sue Forsyth presented information about PB4L = Positive Behaviour about learning.  As well as learning about the philosophy of PB4L parents requested to learn more about the way we measure our progress school wide and what we do about our findings.

We have a fantastic PB4L team who meet twice a term.   Sue Forsyth, Helen Beijeman, Robyn Rutherford, Liz France, Sarah Sade, Michelle Golebiowski, (representing support staff), Kelly Shallow, Cathy Vennell representing the Board of Trustees and myself.    At this meeting, we discuss  behaviour trends, successes and areas for improvement. We work to come up with solutions and overcome challenges that are being presented.  Parents are most welcome to attend.

Please find below an example of the triangle which tells you about how our school is measured against the expected average school. 

triangle tool If you want any explanation other than what is on the page please just paste your questions into the post.

After we have collated the data report we present the Big Five data.The data explores the following questions

Ø What are the problem behaviours?

Ø Where are they occurring?

Ø When are they occurring?

Ø Who is involved? 

Ø  Why do they keep happening?

Then we prepare a Big Five report, similar to this one:

Big 5 Data Review Guide

1.       Data Observations – What patterns if any do we see in the Big Five Reports

Some children rated in the 6+ category have extreme records, some up to more than 12.  In the space of two months the rate of incidences is high.

2.       Roll : 464  171 Records - these include the same person with repetitive incidences.

A.       Per Day Per Month Overall: 4 per day

B.      Problem Behaviour: Disruption: (low intensity followed by defiance and disrespect)

C.       Location: What location are referrals coming from? Junior playground. Front field.

D.      Time of day: 11.15 and 1.30

E.       Students involved: How many students are involved this month?    74 over two months.  6.4% of the school roll.

3.       Problem Statement.

The greatest number of incidents involve defiance and disrespect. (19) defiance and (11) disrespect, followed by physical contact(9)tand physical aggression(7)

Incidences are occurring at 11.15 and 1.30 which leads me to conclude that duty teachers are taking the brunt of defiance and disrespect.

4.       Do you need more information to confirm this Problem Statement?      No

5.       If yes what do you need to know?

6.       What solutions might we come up with? See below

Patterns

The six students who have 6+ incidents are concerning in that we have not been able to support them back into positive behaviours.

Recommendations:

Interventions organised by SENCO

Sort out the duty roster and add at least one person in – done

Add in lunch time activities – quoits, weaving, science, music

Teachers continue to be in their classrooms at 8.30

Staff continue being planned, organised and calm

Orderly environments are a must

Teaching expectations and PB4L lessons

Reward, praise, reward, praise – value our students.

Supervised play for the 5 students with six or more incidents

Check in check out for students with stand downs with their team leaders for two weeks. They will have supervised play for a month. Regular monitoring will take place to ensure students are attending supervised play. Management to check in with teacher aide before they are allowed unsupervised play.

3 teacher aides to be added to lunch time supervision

No comments have been approved for this blog post yet.

Comment on this post...