Taupo Primary School - Hooked on Learning

Te Reo and Tikanga Maori at Taupo Primary School

Click here for Te Reo Tupu, He Reo Ora

Click here for He Reo Ko Manawa

Click here for Ka Hikitea

Tuwharetoa Pepeha                         Karakia

Waiho i te toipito,

kaua i te toiroa.

Let us keep together, not apart.

Learning is a shared responsibility

Rationale (Foundation)

The New Zealand curriculum states that the vision is for young people in Aotearoa to create an Aotearoa/New Zealand in which Maori recognize each other as full Treaty partners, and in which all cultures are valued for the contributions they bring.

At Taupo Primary school, we are committed to honoring the Treaty of Waitangi and respecting the bi-cultural qualities of our school.  Nga tamariki will learn Te Kupu o Te Reo Maori and be able to apply this in related settings where Tikanga values are observed - for example, through pōwhiri, karakia, and kapa haka.
Effective relationships among students, teachers and whanau depend on ako and the positive engagement and motivation from all.

Te reo Maori is indigenous to Aotearoa/New Zealand. It is a taonga recognized under the Treaty of Waitangi, a primary source of our nation's self-knowledge and identity, and an official language.  By understanding and using Te reo Maori New Zealanders become more aware of the role played by the indigenous language and culture in defining and asserting our point of difference in the wider world.

Our Priorities For Students Are:

• Foster effective relationships of mutual respect and the concept of ako, where students and teachers value and build on each other's knowledge and expertise.
  • Students can make connections about the appropriate places and contexts to use Tikanga
    values.
  • Students understand the unique quality of our school's bi-culturalism as part of a wider
    picture of inclusiveness.
  • The children can confidently present their own mihi/pepeha.
  • The children can participate in curriculum level 1 in Te Reo Maori moving towards
    level 2, within the classroom setting.
  • Include tuakana/teina relationships within the school community (Buddy classes). 
  • Increase student achievement based on Kotahitanga, Whanaungatanga, Maanakitanga, Mana,
    wananga, ako and Arohatanga.
  • Engage and encourage various learning styles to meet student learning needs – tactile
    (kinesthetic), visual and oral.
  • Engage Maori parents in a variety of projects respectfully increasing their participation
    in their tamariki learning.

Community
Engagement In Tikanga Maori

Whakawhanaungatanga – relationships will drive our school to a high level of performance and inclusiveness. Provide opportunities for community and whanau to engage in their students learning.
Student learning celebrations to recognize positive learning in Te Reo and Tikanga
School's open door policy
Parent workshops ( to learn about the curriculum)
Noho Marae
Making connections of Tikanga and Te Reo Maori used in the community i.e. greetings, mihi/pepeha, noho marae, waiata, whakatauki etc.
Productive Partnerships – students, whänau, iwi and educators working together to produce better outcomes for all.
Taupo Primary School will build productive relationships with students' whānau and the community as well as with the students themselves.

FOR MORE INFORMATION SEE THE TAUPO PRIMARY SCHOOL CURRICULUM FOLDER