Bright Beginners is a programme that runs for three weeks prior to your child starting school. It is held each Thursday from 9 - 10 am. Parents/carers are required to attend the sessions or alternatively send another adult with your child on their visit day.
The Bright Beginners programme is designed to:
- help your child become familiar with Taupo Primary School
- for your child to get to know what is expected at school
- to help us get to know your child and you
- for your child to get to know the New Entrant teacher
- to help you get to know other children and families who have also enrolled to start at Taupo Primary at the same time.
At Bright Beginners your child will:
- take part in early reading and number knowledge learning activities
- get to take a some home learning each week
- play games, solve puzzles and read big books.
Getting Ready for School
We encourage children to come to school with the following social and academic skills:
- To cooperate and communicate effectively.
- Put on and take of their shoes and clothes.
- Toilet themselves.
- Blow their nose.
- Look after belongings
- Take turns
- Hold a pencil correctly
- Know the letters in their name and be able to write their name.
- Know the lower case letters of the alphabet.
- Count to forwards to 10 and recognise numbers to 10.
- Have skills in cutting, gluing and colouring.